Monday, October 22, 2007

Birds and Buttons


With so many artists in the business of making collage arts and paper crafts it is a challenge to keep abreast on what is new and what has been done by another artist. I tend to work by using colours and images of my personal taste and not just follow the latest trend, and if I do something of the latest trend I will add my own spin to it. I am working towards developing my own style and that will take time to evolve through experimentation in different mediums, I do find that when I really like something I have made maybe 6 months after I make it then I know that is me and my true style. I have had my shop The Dove's Nest open now for a year and I still enjoy the items of paper and ribbons that I have made so this is where I shall roost, in my nest, I love cutting pasting, ribboning, and adding glitter, making little packages, printing and graphic desinging items on the comupter, looking through old books and finding a forgotten image, that would look so beautiful on something, maybe a card, notebook, encased in a glass charm. When I set out to make something I think about where it would look nice, hung on a wall or draped on a mirror, then pick out colours, mostly soft neutral colours are appealing to me right now, with snippets of nature added to each piece, maybe a bird, nest, or something of fairies. This little paper garland is one of those pieces, made with four stamped bird images printed on ivory cardstock papers then hung on a ivory seam binding with little buttons added to the ribbon. I like the first bird image it is of a old book plate with calligraphy script. I have added this garland to the shop today. Before the season of angels and silver glitter falls upon us I will be taking a little break and working with colours and inspirations of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bird Songs