Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Antique Samplers









I came across some wonderful images of 19th century Samplers that I had to share with you. These are some pricey pieces are from a antique dealer in New England and would be bought by a serious collector. But what good is that to have such works of homespun lovely needlework hidden away and enjoyed by one person only? I ask myself. A work of such detail and meaning carefully crafted by a lady or young girl whiling away the hours by the fire lit hearth on a dark November evening in the families Salt Box house. I love the pictorial images of the New England houses featured on these works. I can just imagine the Salt Box house standing tall against the elements of nature around them, winds whipping through the surrounding farm fields, sleet and snow weathering the paint and wood. Our ancestors were hardy people.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Bird Songs